I made this sub enclosure to fit perfectly in the corner of my BRZ trunk. The enclosure houses a
JL Audio 10W3V3-4 10″ 500W subwoofer. The sub is powered by a JL Audio JX1000/1D mono amplifier. Using a Parrot Asteroid Smart deck.
I made the enclosure entirely out of 3/4″ MDF. Could have attempted to make it out of fibreglass but I wanted to try shaping it out of wood. In total it took about 25 hours to make from start to finish. For choosing components and for the system installation, I had a lot of help from my friend Klucz; thanks!
See below for more photos and info from start to finish.
Picked up the sub, introducing it to its final home.
Made a template of the corner of my trunk.
Traced template onto wood and cut it out.
Began the tedious process of creating 3/4″ layers and shaping them to match the complex shape of the trunk.
3/4″ MDF layering and shaping to match trunk line. May be important to note that I used Titebond III waterproof wood glue. I only used it because that’s what I always use, but in this application it makes sense.
To shape the wood I mostly used an angle grinder with 80 grit flap sanding disks.
Here the top layer hasn’t been shaped yet.
Tried out some Bondo to smooth out the surface but it really wasn’t necessary.
Main section of the enclosure complete.
For the 10W3V3 sub, I was looking for an inside enclosure volume of 17.7L (0.625 cu. ft). I made the face of the enclosure larger than it needed to be so I could then cut it back to the correct size.
To get approximately 17.7L, I lined the enclosure with plastic bags and filled it with 17.7L of water. Then I drew a line where the water level was. This would serve as my cut line in the next step.
Enclosure sized to ~17.7L.
Faceplate made. Sub test fit. I can’t believe it all worked out…
Grill for the sub installed.
Carpet applied. The carpet really worked out well. I used a roll of “Black Cargo Carpet” from Canadian Tire.
Welcome to your final home, Mr… Sub.
Amp installation time! Running the #4 wire here.
There’s a perfect spot to stealth the amplifier under the trunk mat (near the spare tire). I don’t have any pictures of how wonderfully clean and tidy the wire installation was thanks to Klucz.
The sub is held in place by long strips of velco stapled to the bottom of the enclosure. Surprisingly to me, it works great.
Yep. That was a lot of work.