[Back when I was 16, I guess I had nothing better to do than modify how my computer case looked. Here is a forum post I made.]
In the past 2 weeks or so, I’ve been messing around modding my computer case and improving the things that I just didnt like.
My case is (was?) an Aspire X-plorer ATX mid tower case. Here are pics with possible brief descriptions of what I’ve done.
First, here are some pics of my case before I did any modding to it:
Now here are quite a few shots of what it looks like now after many hours in the garage =P:
I cut the top window out to match the side panel (notice the side window near the handle and the top window near the fan). You can see how I also windowed my dvd drive and I also took my Aspire PSU (I know you guys hate these PSU’s – jeez they’re fine IMO…) and slightly modified it so i could make it face up, so that you can see its clear case through the top window. The 80 mm fan I cut in couldnt have fit any better since there is little room between the PSU and DVD drive to fit a fan.
[Sidestepping a bit, here is a different post I made about the DVD drive]
To the right is a picture of my DVD drive. This morning I woke up with ambitions. I decided to hack up my drive, wire some LEDs into it, window it, paint it, and hope it still works.
[Now back to the original post…]
Here are a few before and after GIFs of my case.
Some mods worth mentioning that I never explained:
removed the four lit corners on the front of the case and painted the clear plastic they were black.
painted the power and reset buttons white to match the theme
cut out the rear fan mesh and put a 120mm fan in
And finally… A shot of the entire finished product:
Suggestions, questions, and comments are extremely appreciated!
[The end. I was really proud of what I made and had a lot of fun. The computer is still being used today.]
This semester in my analog electronics class, one of our projects was to “design” an audio spectrum analyzer that could determine if a signal is low (<1kHz), medium (2-8kHz) or high (>10kHz) frequency. Here is our final schematic:
I’ve owned the Microsoft|Razer Habu gaming mouse for about two years now. When I first received it, I discovered the firmware that shipped on the mouse was semi-corrupt and the Habu configurator would not recognize it. I had to flash it with a firmware from a different mouse with different software before I could change any of the DPI settings. It was a huge pain to say the least. Then, last year the USB cable frayed at the end that connects to the mouse and it would randomly disconnect when I moved. I fixed that. Soon after that the mouse began to double click when I would only be doing single clicks. After a quick Google search it seemed as though a lot of people had this issue. I took the mouse apart and cleaned the button mechanism with a contact cleaner. That did the trick. About five months ago the USB cable began to fray again, this time at the other end with the USB plug. About a month ago the ‘back’ button also began to double click when I would single click. Tonight I decided to fix these last few problems.
I ‘jimmied’ the cable like that with a tie-wrap back in university because I didn’t have time to properly fix it. Wrapping it like that basically prevented the frayed part from breaking any further.
This is the end that is inside the Habu. This is the part I fixed last year. I just cut the frayed part off and soldered it back together. That piece of rubber to the left was the trickiest part. It was molded onto the old broken part of the cable, so I carefully cut it off with a razor blade and then slid it back onto the fresh cable.
I took a USB cable from an old mp3 player with some proprietary end and cut it off. I soldered it back onto the Habu’s internal plug as you can see in the picture above. That clear plastic covering on the wires is heat-shrink. It works just as it sounds; slide it over exposed cable, heat it up, and it shrinks.
The new USB cable is slightly thicker than the old one, so that plastic rubber doesn’t fit completely around it but oh well.
I also fixed the ‘back’ button afterwords. I’ve invested so much time into this mouse I am rather attached to it. I’m looking for a new mouse but nothing seems worthy. I wouldn’t mind if someone gave me a Razer Mamba though.
The sad thing is, it took me far longer to make this post than it did to fix the mouse.